Thursday, March 31, 2011

House (And Not the TV Show)

I am among those fortunate few lucky enough to say that I live in a gigantic house. Three stories of sheer epic win. A spacious, luxurious abode that I am proud to call my own.

It started waaaaay long ago. My grandmother and grandfather married at age eighteen and went on to move in together. They (quite obviously) needed a house, so my grandfather was kind enough to build a temporary encampment. It was almost shack like at first. But after my mothers birth, and the creation of my four other aunts and uncles, the house became expanded upon. Slowly but surely, the house gained square-footage and began to enlarge. What was once a shack became the towering sculpture of architectural inspiration you see today. More rooms were added wherever they fit, and the house became the awkward, hulking, warm, imposing, and very lovable building it is today. It's like Ron's house from "Harry Potter", The Burrow. It's huge, looks like it was thrown together out of cardboard but is actually quite sturdy, and it pertains this friendly warmth and inviting glow. It feels like a home.

Why, all of a sudden do I start rambling on about how much I love my house? This morning, I cleaned out my extremely dirty and cluttered basement. It was almost inhospitable in it's original state. But exploring my house brought some inspiration. It's so old it almost has a personality of it's own. This house is a living, breathing being just like you and I. It has a soul about it, an energy, and no matter how out-of-shape and in desperate need of a maid's services it may be, it still puts a smile on my face.

Something flows into you when you are in the basement. It's like an entire other world. The soundproof ceiling and walls seal you off from the two stories of life above, and creates a sense of containment like no other. It's comforting almost to be that alone. You start to notice things you never saw before. You reflect upon your own nature and being. Every flaw or attribute is magnified one hundred fold. It provides an inspiration unlike any other. The most scenic view in the world cannot compare to drawing into your own world, opening your eyes, and taking in something that was never clear before.

That's the magic of a house. Sometimes an inanimate object can tell you more than any book, person, or being ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment