Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Sound so Sweet

There is not a single person in the world who doesn't like music.

There's something in that mixture of melody, harmony, rhythm and poetry that blends together and serenades your soul. It's not in your ears. It's in your heart. It's the composer projecting themselves through your ear buds, speakers, iTunes etc. and straight into the depths of your heart. It's an expression, it's art, it's a way of life.

We all have different tastes, different preferences, different ways of life, but something in music we all understand. Who can't relate to music on some level? Regardless of genre, it's an emotion that makes you feel what the artist is feeling. It's expression, performance, and art. It can be inspiring, motivational, and moving. Music is truly a universal language. Without words or symbols, music is our communication. Dynamics, phrases, staccato, lyrical beauty and depth all come together to tell a story. But it's not just the story the artist composes. It's how you relate that story to yourself. A true piece of art will have a place in your life that you can instantly put it. You may not even fully understand it, but this piece of music somehow explains something you can't begin to grasp. It verbalizes words that do not yet exist.

It's for this reason that I have dedicated my life to the concept. I started taking guitar lessons five weeks before my fourth birthday, and before I could even fully speak the English language I could express myself better on an instrument. I went on to learn bass, piano, drums, trumpet, synthesis, and to study musical theory. I started writing original compositions in seventh grade and collaborated with a number of musicians in bands and groups to further expand this knowledge and work with others. It's not purely out of pleasure I do this. It's because I want to share my music with people. So many artists have touched me and changed me and I want to have the same effect. I want to give back to the people that need motivation and inspiration. It's not out of the desire of fame and fortune that I chase this ambition. If I just changed one person through art I would be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment